Introducing...Miss Pug!


This blog will be ala Weddingbee style where the blogger is known by an icon. A while back, they had a post on characters remaining for new "bees", and I instantly knew what I would be...Miss Pug (after my dear furbaby)!


Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hair and Makeup Trial - Fail

I had my hair and makeup trial today.  I haven't been too worried about it because I've had my hair done for prom and make-up randomly done at make-up counters and always loved the results.  I gathered some inspiration pictures, pictures of my dress, and my veil, and headed to get beautified.  Here's a picture of me before the trial.



We started with the hair.  As a reminder, here is the inspiration style we were going for:


 Loose, but not too messy.   Not too big or too perfect.

I sat anxiously as my stylist curled my hair and carefully pinned here and there.  When she finally turned me around, here is what I saw:



My face kind-of fell when I saw it.  It wasn't what I had pictured, but I couldn't really put into words what I didn't like about it.  I thought I didn't like the pinned loops at the top, so I asked to see what it would look like with just loose curls.



Still not the look I was going for.  I pointed to my inspiration picture again and asked her to try pinning it up again.  As she worked I kept praying and hoping that I would be elated when she turned me around to evaluate her work.  Here's what she came up with:



Still not exactly what I wanted, but I was having a really hard time explaining my vision and was getting a little frustrated.  I figured this was the closest I would get, so I decided to just move on.  Here is a picture with the veil above the hairstyle:

 

And here is a picture with the veil under the hairstyle.  This option allows you to see the hair more and would look nice with flowers on the side.



I was still toying with the idea of having a down-do with loose curls, so my stylist was nice enough to show me what this would look like.



Next we moved on to make-up.  I was really excited about the airbrushed make-up and the flawless, porcelain complexion it would produce.  Here is my make-up inspiration picture that I provided my stylist:


I wanted emphasis on the eyes.  A little smokey, but still natural-looking.  Here is my finished look:



I was disappointed with this look.  Perhaps I was disappointed that I didn't look like Katherine McPhee, but I didn't feel like I looked like myself either.  Looking back at the pictures, I almost like my "before" picture without any make-up on better.  I ended up going home and wiping off some of the blush, and it looked a little better.  When I saw my MOH that night, she agreed that it wasn't the best look for me.

I'm a little torn right now about whether to try another vendor or to try to figure out how to pin-point exactly what I want done differently and hope that it comes out right on the big day.  This vendor was so sweet and accommodating, and I am horrible with having to say no or turning anyone down.  It would be easier for me to just go with her and hope everything turns out, but I know I would regret it on the big day if I wasn't happy with the results.

What would you do?  Any suggestions or tips?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie!
    I would ask for another trial and if she still doesn't get it, see if you can find someone else. I think it's important to feel beautiful on your wedding day! I was shocked when I did my trial last month for my engagement shoot because the makeup was heavy and I didn't even look like ME. For me it was the blush and silver/metalic eye color that made me look funny.

    ReplyDelete