Introducing...Miss Pug!


This blog will be ala Weddingbee style where the blogger is known by an icon. A while back, they had a post on characters remaining for new "bees", and I instantly knew what I would be...Miss Pug (after my dear furbaby)!


Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Location, Location, Location

Since there wasn't a particular date or time of the year we were looking at, Mr. Pug and I decided to focus on choosing a venue first and let the available dates guide us in setting a date. We actually did consider a destination wedding (most likely Las Vegas), but ultimately decided against it because our grandparents would not be able to travel. Once we decided to staying on Oahu, we started thinking about what kind of wedding we envisioned, how many guests we would have, and how much we were willing to spend. Here is what we came up with...

The Ideal Location

- On Oahu, Hawaii (preferably not in Waikiki)
- Getting Ready + Ceremony + Location at one venue
- Able to accommodate ~150 guests
- Beautiful Scenery (preferably with a beach)
- Good Food
- Affordable

There were two locations that met all the criteria except the last one -- Kahala Resort and Ihilani (the two places my "dream wedding" would be). Unfortunately, with our limited budget and huge family, those two are most likely out of the question.


The Kahala Resort
photo: Eugene Kam Photography

 


Ihilani
photo: Shawn Starr

 

I took a look at Luana Hills and Ko'olau Ballrooms -- both were nice, but I prefer having an ocean view and am a little worried about the higher chance of rain on the windward side of the island.

Luana Hills

 

Koolau Ballrooms

 

I considered having an outdoor wedding at Lanikohonua or the Hawaii State Art Museum (both gorgeous!), but I'm not really an outdoorsy person and I rather not go through the extra work of getting and setting up all the rentals ( although, let me tell you, reading all the Lani bios out there almost changed my mind!).


Lanikuhonua Ceremony
photo: Shawn Starr 



Lanikuhonua Reception
photo: Shawn Starr

 


Hawaii State Art Museum


So...after considering other hotels and venues throughout the island, FI and I have chosen our top two locations...Hale Koa and Waialae Country Club.

Hale Koa Maile Garden
photo: Kris Labang

 

Hale Koa Waikiki Ballroom
photo: Chrissy Lambert

 

Waialae Country Club
photo: H. Liu

 

Was there a must-have venue or date that you had in mind when you started planning?  Did you let one decide the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment